Our History In Photos
Left: The earliest historic photo of the original sanctuary of St. Boniface Church, Wilkes-Barre. Rev. Charles Von Welden, second pastor, served at St. Boniface from 1911-1920, thus responsible for this photo. He was ordained in 1893. The script on the sanctuary wall reads, "1896 Tu Es Sacerdos In Aeternum 1918" (You are a Priest Forever). 22 years does not indicate his silver ordination; thus it seems to be celebrating Corpus Christi; Jesus exposed would be the high priest.
Above: Rev. Joseph C. Ward, pastor of St. Boniface from 1945 - 1965, expanded the rear church building to enlarge the sanctuary and sacristy (1948-1949). The renovated church was dedicated on March 11th, 1949 by the Most Rev. William J. Hafey, Bishop of Scranton.
Above: Exterior view of St. Boniface Parish and the original rectory approx. 1927
1921: Unspecified day. St. Patrick's Parish is approved.
July 8, 1921: Rev. John Lynott is appointed pastor.
1921: Unspecified day. Lot purchased for $8,000.
August 1921 to June 1922: Masses are held at the Sterling Theater, Hazle Avenue. This is not to be confused with later Sterling Theater, North Main Street.
June 4, 1922: Three Masses are held in the completed church basement. Masses will continue in the basement until the superstructure is built.
July 6, 1930: First Mass in the completed St. Patrick's Church is held.
Right: The interior of St. Patrick Church shortly before the July 1930 completion.
Far left, left, and above: St. Patrick Church during construction taken from 1928 to 1929 from the rear porch of 445 Hazle st. Wilkes-Barre, the former home of the Mark L. Henry family (the current location of Angelo's Pizza).
Above: A mass being celebrated shortly after the July 1930 completion of the church.
Left: Renovations of the church and construction of a new rectory circa 1935-1936.
Above: Holy Rosary Parish as it originally appeared. (approx. 1910)
Inset: Rev. Luigi Cecere, the first pastor.